Sunday, May 30, 2010

I Don't Fit In With Any Of This

Alright, so apparently I lost my ipod. This sucks because anytime I'm going anywhere by myself, I'm listening to it. Case in point: my go train rides to work. So I brought a book to read, but with people talking all around you, it's impossible to cut out background noise and not listen in on conversations.

So this is when I started thinking about what the focus of this blog is about. There was a mom on the train with her three kids. She was clearly a flower child from the 60's who never grew up. Definitely not criticizing that. One, it really doesn't matter to me how you live your life unless it affects me in some way, which is the case here. Two, I think it's kinda rad she stayed the way (I assume) she was when she was younger. I definitely picture the older version of myself as a skinny dude in a Descendents shirt who still skates everywhere he goes. But the way she was with her kids was kinda pissing me off. She was definitely trying to keep her glory days listening to Cream going by living vicariously through her kids. That really gets my goat. I really don't like it when people try to force others to be a certain, especially if it's just to make themselves happy.

Fuck it let them be themselves.

Her youngest son, who I'm ball-parking to be about 8-9 years old, bought a Yellow Submarine action figure. Now, I'm willing to throw it out there that this little boy's interest in The Beatles is only result of his mom (sidenote: the spellcheck on my computer tried to correct the way I spell Beatles. I thought they were bigger than Jesus and shit?). Don't worry not hating on the Fab Four. But, when I was his age my interests were mostly Batman, Star Wars, Lego and going to Daisy Mart to buy candy. Obviously everyone's childhood is different but I think that most little boys likes would lean more towards my experiences. The mom definitely struck me as the type of parent who would shelter kids a whole lot and not let them watch power rangers and shit because it's "too violent". If you're a 8 year old kid who gets stoked about the power rangers beating the tar out of puddies and then go and pretend you're them while playing with your friends in the park, that's normal. If you're an 8 year old who sees that and then goes and starts kicking his little sister in the end so he can pretend to be Tommy, you're a moron. Morons need sheltering, everyone else doesn't.

They even fucking talked about keeping the toy in it's original packaging. That's just inhumane. Let the kid play with it, what the fuck else is it for? I guess when he hits a big payday after saving the toy in it's packaging, he can revel in his money to make up for his shitty childhood of his toys being withheld from him. A random dad sitting across from them chimed in saying that his son had something like 29 batmobiles and his daughter had like 70 Barbies all in their original packaging. That's just cruel and unusual punishment. Jesus, I can't imagine how miserable I would have been if instead of pretending I was running down Jack Nicholson (the best joker by a very wide margin, by the way) with my batmobile I was forced to admire it in it's box.

And give the kid an action figure. Playing with Yellow Submarine toys can't be fun.

People today, right?

The daughter was I'm guessing about 12-13, but sounded like she was 30. I found it seriously depressing.

Let your kids grow up on their own a little. I bet seeing them mature as people would be a whole lot more fulfilling than having them just grow into some mold you made.

I'm a moron.

No comments:

Post a Comment