Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Line Between What Our Hearts Believe And What We Do With Our Hands

Alright, so I sit down in a cubicle on the third floor of the library to do some work. As per usual there is "graffiti" adorning the sides and the desk surface in this cubicle (there is a specific word for when people write in public places like this, like in a washroom stall, but I can't remember it. Damn yo.). This usually makes me pretty stoked. Sometimes it's funny. Usually it's people showing how moronic they actually are. One time it was a chain of Star Wars references, and that made me smile because I'm a dork.

Anyways, this one started with one person writing "Speak now", obviously trying the put some vaguely motivation sentiment into this work station. It is followed in different coloured ink by "or forever hold your peace", obviously someone trying to continue the message? I dunno, they felt like writing it. Cool. Then after that there is "**piece", clearly somebody trying to correct an already grammatically correct sentence. After that it goes into people saying "I love Reece's Pieces!" and keeps going for a bit, but that's not relevant to this blog! So fuck it!

This made me think about how anal some people are about correcting other's grammar, even though they themselves often make mistakes. Now don't get me wrong, bad grammar does piss me off. Misuse of "you're" and "your" is irritating and people who say "I could care less" are another one. I guess it can make you seem as though you didn't pay attention in school and are a bit of a tool. I mean you got all the words there, step two is figuring out how to use them properly.

But I also don't want to come off as some all knowing, authoritative power on grammar. I mean look at this blog. There's probably tons of grammatical errors on this blog I haven't noticed. Actually, there is definitely some. So I guess this leads to the main thing.

Why the fuck is everyone so strung up on correcting everyone else all the time? Seriously? I can understand if it's a really important issue and it can create an interesting argument, but doesn't it piss you off when people stop others just to correct some minor detail? It sure as hell pisses me off.

There was one time I was having a conversation with someone and I said something along the lines of "... it would have been funner if more people came...", they laughed and said something like "Oh, Timmy. Funner isn't a word." In fact I said that because I think I said more right before that or something and thought that saying "more fun" would sound dumb. Then not five minutes later they said "addicting". I guess, if you are going to correct someone, make sure you are actually in the position to, y'know? What's that saying from the bible? Let he who is without drink grab the first slurpee?

Let's say the individual who wrote "peace" is El Duderino and the individual who wrote "piece" is His Dudeness.

Okay, His Dudeness. Odds are not only have you never met El Duderino, but you don't even know who he is. If El Duderino was in a lineup, you would most likely pick Jeffrey Lebowski, or even the Nihilists instead because you don't even fucking know who he is. Not only that, but you are so preoccupied with correcting the Duderino that you don't even notice that you're completely fucking wrong (unless you were trying to make a pun on the saying, trying to imply that one needs to hold their gun or their dong. In which case, I give you a standing ovation.). But man, relax.

I have a friend who says, for example, "I could care less about seeing this band...etc." do I stop him in the middle of this statement to correctly inform that he should in fact be saying "I could not care less about seeing this band"? No, I do not. Because I still completely, 100% understand what he is saying and me correcting him would only make me seem like a giant douche and it would throw a stick in the bike wheels of him finishing what he trying to say.

Everybody needs to calm the fuck down.

Everyone stand up?

No comments:

Post a Comment