Monday, April 25, 2011

The Delusional Gaze On The Satisfied Face Of The Saddest Man I Know

I just finished my fourth year at the University of Guelph. I am not done though and need to come back for some added time next September. It feels very weird. On one hand, I really don't want to leave university yet and start post-education life. I have a lot of fun at school, meet a lot of awesome people and don't want that to end. On the other hand, I feel like a tool because a lot of people did in 4 years what it is taking more than 4 years to do. Oh well right? Next year is going to be weird because about half the people I know won't be there anymore. Luckily though, essentially all my closest friends are coming back, so I imagine it won't be all bad.

This shit is finally done at least.

Day 27: A song you wish you could play.

I really don't give a shit what you say, Bri Robinson is far and away the best bass player in punk rock and definitely up there in music in general. He never just sticks to the root note and things that are very, very hard very, very fast. The fact that he does all of this as a "finger player" rather than just going a million miles an hour with a pick also shows just how much better he is than everyone else in the genre. You could really throw any A Wilhelm Scream song up (post-Ruiner at least, when he joined the band), but the tapping intro to this song is especially gnarly.


Day 28: A song that makes you feel guilty.

A song that makes me feel guilty? I honestly can't really think of something that applies. This song has the line "and hope you find someone who won't hurt you the way I know I do" so I'm going to use it.


Day 29: A song from your childhood.

In grade 6, 7 and 8 my friends and I thought we were just the punkest motherfuckers on the face of the earth. Our soundtrack to being these punk motherfuckers was Treble Charger, Sum 41 and blink-182. Yea, I know.

Funny story though, years later my friend Damien's band got picked up for this Much Music show Disband, the host of which was Greg Nori, Treble Charger's singer. They geeked out way harder than any other band about it being him. I'm pretty sure Damien still has his number in his phone.


Day 30: Your favourite song at this time last year.

"Thank You" by the Descendents has been my favourite song for a long time (obviously why I posted it for day 1), but just like everyone else I got through cycles of loving a few songs a whole lot and just playing the hell out of them. When I was leaving school last year it was really the Movielife and the Ergs! (I clearly must have been having a great time with relationships!), so I'm just going to put up a song from each. Still two of my favourite bands for sure.



Man that turned out to be pretty fucking dumb. I thought maybe it would get me in gear to write way more stuff, but whatevs. More time to do that at home now right?

No comments:

Post a Comment