Monday, March 28, 2011

My Aim Is True

I first started to get into music on my own around the seventh grade. I heard blink-182, Sum 41 and Jimmy Eat World on MuchMusic and was immediately taken by the faster/simpler/melodic "punk" music that was popular at that time. "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World blew my mind at the time and still does today. It was really the first time I heard a song and really thought "Wow, I really like the way that sounds." It was just after that a whole new world of sounds opened up to. Or at least one that didn't consist of listening to Bat Out Of Hell and Jive Bunny And The Master-Mixer in my mom's Acclaim.

But even though I was (and still am today) endlessly searching for bands that pique my interest in my spare time, the input of others was just as helpful. This ranged from trading new bands with my other three friends who listened to punk at my elementary school to my brother hearing me listening to Sum 41 and telling me to listen to "The Decline" by NoFX instead. (Actually that was a pretty watershed moment in my musical history. They were my favourite band for a long time and were a huge "gateway band" because I discovered so many other new ones through them).

Last sidebar (I promise!): The three bands my brother showed me were NoFX, LagWagon and No Use For A Name. This was in grade 7. I still listen to all of these bands pretty regularly today. I take pride in this. I find that a lot of people just kind of change with the wind and stop supporting a lot of bands. I kind of take solace in the fact that I've been into punk rock for pretty much as long as I've been into music.

Also at this time of discovering bands, my Dad showed me some stuff. He brought me two cds one day; Cream (which I wasn't that into) and My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello. He brought me that one because it came out in 1977 and was when Costello was "most punk" I guess (The first song is only a minute and 24 seconds long!).

I thought it was pretty good at the time and then forgot about it for a while.

Then I watched Sixteen Candles last night and a wave of 80's nostalgia hit me. I've been on a huge Costello kick since. The album really is phenomenal and required listening for anyone.

Even though it's one of his biggest songs, you just can't deny how great it is:


Long story short, my Dad got me Elvis Costello albums and takes me to art galleries. He's probably cooler than your dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment