Friday, December 11, 2009

Is There Anybody Out There?

I used to stay up to watch "The Punk Show" on MuchMusic whenever I could. Back when George Stromboulopolis used to host it had pretty good content and would usually play some smaller Canadian bands. But anyways, one night a particular video came on, "No Face" by The Suicide Machines.

I had already heard of the band; I loved "New Girl" as it was on the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater soundtrack and had gotten "Your Silence" off of a Warped tour compilation. So I sort of liked the band but had never really gotten the effort to check them out.

The video started with a shot of the guitar player crowd surfing and playing the lead riff. I thought it was the coolest thing I had seen in my life up to that point. Immediately I was in a whole other world watching the clip.

Then the bass line kicked in. I had never heard a bass player carry a song so much. It was the main part of the song. It completely changed my outlook on how to play my instrument and is still the most influential moment in my playing.

I was amazed by the song. It definitely had a punk attitude. But it was so poppy, so fun and had you singing along right away. And it was fast.

Needless to say, I was hooked. I was them live a little later and became even more enticed. Then I bought "Destruction by Definition" and the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment