Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Flick Says He Saw Some Grizzly Bears Near Pulaski's Candy Store!

Okay, so the story I mentioned in my last post.

Lego used to have this series that focused on ninjas as the subject matter. It was like the grey, "good" ninjas against the red or black "bad" ninjas, I don't know I can't really remember. But anyways! That year my parents got me the big set for Christmas. You know in a Lego series there's always like the little tiny sets that are about $5, then the kind of bigger ones that are $20, then a sort of big one and the big giant crown jewel of the collection. So yea that year they got the big one for me. You cannot imagine how stoked I was. When I was little I fucking LOVED Lego. Usually the first thing I did every Saturday morning was pull all my shit out so I could make some rad robot or space ship while I watched cartoons. I seriously played with it almost all day.

Anyways you cannot imagine how pumped to assemble this thing. I put on my fresh Northern Getaway threads, received that morning, turned on the "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" special (you know, the stop motions that rules so hard) and began to build this motherfucker. I remember that it took me the entire special to build, finishing it just as the credits rolled. I'm pretty close to the cousins on one side of my family and they always come over or vice-versa on Christmas day. Needless to say I was so stoked to show them my masterpiece.

So I'm in my room putting this monster on my shelf, it being the new mantlepiece of my bedroom. Then just as I'm about to place it up there, it falls out of my hands. As soon as it hit the floor it just shattered to a million pieces. I was so devastated. I was just the most bitter kid for the rest of the day. I didn't try to re-build it. Even if I had collected all the pieces it wouldn't have been the same.

Looking back now, I think it is one of the funniest things ever. This little 7 year-old spends the better part of his day building this thing and then clumsily drops it as soon as it's done. So tragic!

Telling this made me pretty posi, wow. Nostalgia doesn't have to be bitter!

Sidenote: Weezer did absolutely no wrong in the 90's. Do yourself a favour and put on Blue, Pinkerton, "Jamie" and "Suzanne"

No comments:

Post a Comment