Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hey Now Santa, I'm Writing To You 'Cause There's a Lot of Cool Shit I Want

I've always been a big fan of Christmas. I mean most people love it when they're a kid, assuming they life in a family with the means, but that's pretty much entirely based on the fact that you're getting new toys. I guess for some people that type of appreciation continues for the rest of their lives. But you know who those kids are and they suck. But obviously for most of us it begins to take on a new significance as you grow up.

I mean I do still enjoy getting gifts, seriously who doesn't? But Christmas has gone beyond unwrapping the big castle from the Ninja Lego (not to say I wouldn't still enjoy getting that. Lego rules. Seriously.) (also I have a kind of funny story about that Lego set I'll tell later). I guess I can be pretty shy around some people (and by shy I mean try to behave myself and not be the jackass I am around my friends), which results in people usually getting me pretty shitty gifts. I'm not trying to be cynical, really! It just something that happens and honestly it really doesn't bother me that much at all because there's other stuff I look forward to on Christmas break.

Since I'm away at school now, opportunities to see all my friends growing up are few and far between. Since everyone is off at the same time for Christmas break, everyone gets to hang out. I really do love my friends a lot and this is usually the first time that everyone is together since the summer.

Also around this time most people seem pretty happy. Obviously the "holiday cheer" doesn't apply to everyone, but in late December there seems to be a little it of a spring in most people's steps. When you're bummed out being around other bummed people doesn't really help. A lot people knock Christmas because there's so much consumerism and all that crap, but if it's making people happy is it really that bad? Plus people that get ulcers trying to find the perfect gift or punch other parents trying to get the last Tickle-Me-Elmo are probably pretty shitty examples of human beings already.

Most people think of the morning opening presents and the tree when they think of Christmas. I think of getting a few things that I'll put to good use and hanging out doing stupid shit in my basement with the best guys on earth because it's too cold to go outside.

Plus it gives me an excuse to listen to this song:

No comments:

Post a Comment