Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Stupid Habit

It's always a great feeling when a band goes completely past your expectations on an album.

Low expectations+a product that is much better than those expectations=Happiness.

I recently (Really not recently at all, it was all the way back in the lost time of last summer. It just seems like recently because I barely post on this blog anymore.) had this happen with The Swellers' last album Good For Me. You go in with low expectations because you don't think the band will do anything new or exciting or you don't like the direction the band had taken on their previous album. Then the band surprises you with a collection of fucking bangers.

This just happened to me with the band Static Radio NJ. The band's first album An Evening of Bad Decisions was totally in the vein of Lifetime/Kid Dynamite; very fast hardcore/punk that is equally as poppy and melodic as it is for lack of a non-worn-out-80's skater-term "fast and gnarly". While I think that that album totally fucking rips, I figured they would put out an album that was pretty much identical. And hey, I'll be the last guy to complain about bands that worship the altar of Dan Yemin, but I don't really need another album that similar.

Then I heard that Static Radio had taken a different approach on their new record We Are All Beasts, opting more for pop-punk than fast hardcore. My interest was piqued, brah. The new record to be totally awesome! To me it sounds like they took their old sound, added a Bouncing Souls feel to it and listened to pretty much only The Descendents while recording it (The bass-line on the first song? Some hooks are vintage Stevenson!). I like it lots and lots and it goes really well with the unseasonably warm weather that Southern Ontario's been experiencing lately.

Feels good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment