Monday, March 12, 2012

All Things Considered

The idea of theme songs is pretty weird. I mean this in regards to people, like how somebody will often say "This is my theme song." whenever one of their favourite songs comes on. Or at least I do that a lot. It's probably pretty annoying. But these aren't these people's actual themes. Most people do not have theme music.

But the weirdest part is that some people actually do have theme music. They have a song that plays anytime they make a hired or public appearance and that is pretty wild. What got me to start thinking about this is this song:


THAT IS ACTUALLY SOMEBODY'S THEME MUSIC.

And not just that, but a person who is one of the most popular figures in his medium (Pro Wrestling, a medium? I'm on a roll, just let it happen...) to the point that this is considered a "classic" theme.

Let's think about this for a moment. Every time Shawn Michaels comes back to the WWE to make a guest appearance, this song is played. I can't say this with 100% certainty, but probably every time he makes any type of public appearance ANYWHERE, this song is played. Whenever people hear the corny guitar riff and hear "I think I'm cute, I know I'm sexy." they think "Here comes Shawn Michaels, the motherfuckin' Heartbreak Kid." The song is awesome in a "Wow, that's so terrible it's hilarious" way but in actuality that is a really, really bad song. It might be a different case with Shawn Michaels, because he's a pretty huge redneck, but having that as your theme music must be terrible.

I just looked to see if I could find Shawn giving his opinion on it, but couldn't find it anywhere. I am very interested in this, because swallowing that you are going to be defined by a single song for the rest of your life is probably pretty tough to swallow.

This happens with other people as well. I fill forever associate Shawn Green with "Song 2" by Blur because of the summer he used it as his music when he came to bat (awesome) and same goes for BJ Ryan and some Slipknot song (nawesome).

I guess the main thing I'm trying to say is "What if your theme music really sucked?" It's one thing for me to speculate saying "Man, "Thank You" by the Descendents is my theme song!", but imagine if you got stuck with a really shitty one.

Or maybe it's just me trying to wrap my head around a 46 year old waking out to a song as ridiculous as that and still trying to seem like he's taking himself seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment