Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Case You Were Wondering, I Can't Get Comfortable In My Own Skin

Today in Guelph it’s raining. It was raining when I went to bed last night and it was raining when I woke up this morning. It got me thinking about how people say that they like the rain all the time and why that might be.

I guess a major thing about it is the sound. This is sort of the only part I can relate to. Sometimes rainy days are kind of fun. You can just take the day off, not get dressed, watch Ghostbusters, order a pizza and not do much else. But this sounds an awful lot like most days in my life, with the only variation being the sound of water hitting everything outside. So yea, I guess that sound is pretty relaxing, I’ll give them that, but I would be just as pleased if there was some nice sunshine coming through my windows while Bill Murray yanked out the tablecloths in that dining hall.

Plus if it’s a sunny day out, I have the option of doing things outside. I can go skate and grab a grapeaid at the convenience store if I want to. If it’s raining out, all this becomes a royal pain in the ass.

So I guess this point ties into what I just said. While curling up with Dr. Venkman and a large ‘za in basketball shorts and my Daggermouth hoodie is very appealing, I’ve got all winter to do that. When you actually have things to do (ex. going to class) when it’s raining, it fucking sucks. It was raining pretty hard one day last week too. Even though I was standing under the tree beside my bus stop, I still got soaked. Going through a lengthy bus ride and a 90 minute lecture in a light grey hoodie with a dark back and sleeves and jeans that are stiff from rain is not fun.

When it’s raining it’s also very rare that the weather is warm. I’m sure you’ve already drawn this conclusion, but let me tell you anyways; being wet and cold at the same time fucking sucks. Come to think of it, there are only three times that I enjoy being wet: when I am swimming, when I am showering and when it’s too hot at work in the summer and I jump in the pool to cool off. I don’t like just lounging around wet man. I think that’s pretty weird. You know?

I also find (apologies if this sounds like me being pretentious and bitching about hipsters) that some people say they like the rain just so it sounds like they’re “different” or “individual”. You like walking around downtown Toronto in the rain? It reeks like Satan’s asshole and the roads are uneven so when you cross the street your vans get wet, feel like you’re walking in mud and your feet stink. There’s a line from a Wonder Years song (hey, I’m listening to that record right now! Best of the year by a wide margin. Oh and the song this line is from, “This Party Sucks”, is up there as the best song of the year in my opinion.) “Can someone tell these kids, liking the rain no longer counts as an idiosyncrasy”, which I think sums up what I was just saying. Telling a girl you like to stand outside and get wet doesn’t make you sound deep asshole. Like it says right there in the song; so many people say it that it isn’t even distinctive anymore.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just an asshole and don’t get it. Or maybe I would rather wear my dumb sunglasses, dumb tank tops and dumb cut-offs in the sun than a jacket to try and keep dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment