Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm The Guy That You Forgot You Hated

I never realized how good Chixdiggit! are!

The first time I heard about them, they were opening for NoFX on tour during the height of my NoFX fandom. I knew they were Canadian, on Fat Wreck Chords and apparently had some ska songs.

Fast-forward this summer. I won a Fat Wreck contest and it came with a sort of "Greatest Hits" of the label. I knew pretty much all of the songs already but there were a few I didn't. One of these was "I Remember You" by Chixdiggit. I found that I really, really liked that song and it really became one of my "summer jams".

So I just got their full length "Pink Razors" that that song was off of. IT'S REALLY GOOD YO! Sort of likeRamones, Screeching Weasel, etc. pop-punk, but the production is different and makes it sound really good. There's something else that makes it different, but I can't really put my finger on it. The main dude is a great song-writer. Not in the sense that he writes really introspective or individual lyrics, but in the sense that he is just an awesome pop-song writer and can get stuff stuck in your head for days. He also has a kind of Rivers Cuomo habit of throwing an absolutely fabulous guitar solo on every song. Not that they're huge face melters or anything but just that they fit the song perfectly.

Oh, and pretty much every song is about love and stuff. And I... uh... like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment