Friday, November 22, 2019

Think of the Fine Times, Pushing Down the Better Few



Once upon a time I used to think that this song was a lot of corny fun. Damien and I were far enough away from the early 90s when we were 14 that we thought that the video full of 90s fashions and sideways hats was an amazing piece of retro pop culture.

When Brian, Konrad, Pat (and Mark), and I moved into our first house in our second year of university it was a period of transition for all of us. We knew we were being thrust into adulthood and weren't kids anymore, but we also didn't realize that we were still behaving like teenagers for the whole year. Actual responsibilities were still a ways off from us, so we were free to fuck around a lot and (mostly) not worry about it.

Brian and I were attached at the hip that year and did everything together. He had brought his mom's old Ford Windstar, affectionately called "Mama Link" by all of us because of its "LA LINK" license plate, and we drove all over Guelph in it. We were usually pretty high while doing so. Using Brian's ancient iTrip to hook our ipods up to the stereo, we would try to put on the most ridiculous music we could to make each other laugh. I have many memories of us listening to "Unbelievable" while driving at night in a big minivan.

Now I'm able to recognize that "Unbelievable" is really great song and I like it unabashedly. Maybe I always did on some level. It's also nice to think of how good it is now, while remembering the life it used to have with us in 2008.


No comments:

Post a Comment