Monday, August 26, 2019

There Will Be No Pulling Out of Rug Beneath Your Feet

While in a strange Twitter hole, I saw someone who used to be in a band I like recommend Slaughter Beach, Dog's new record Safe and Also No Fear.



It's great thoughtful indie rock in which the world of the songs seems super lived-in. Afterwords, I found out that this is a project by one of the members of Modern Baseball, which surprised me, as this, in my opinion, absolutely pisses on everything that band did.

While listening, the delivery of the songs, especially the vocals, reminded me so much of something, but I couldn't place it. Putting the record on while I worked through OSAP forms today (FUN!), I realized that what I was searching for was Sean Bonette's Skateboarding's Greatest Hits, which I've touched on here a couple of times in the past. Knowing that now, of course I liked this record, as that EP is one of my favourite little oddities, and if we're being serious, one of my favourite things ever.

Hey! We talkin' about skateboarding?

I've been diving into Epicly Later'd again lately. The series is unbelievable, but like most things skating, it seems to be doomed to only ever be consumed by skaters. I like that, because it means we get to have something only for us, but I guess I also wish others could see it and then gush about how amazing these people and this crazy subculture are. Recent highlights have been the Girl/Anti Hero tour episode, in which a pre-out Brian Anderson's excessive drinking around his teammates, to the point that he throws up blood, is put in a new light today (also, I could watch Tony Trujillo footage forever), but the big one for me was the series on Josh Kalis, a skater who I never looked into before, but have a new appreciation for now.



Go swimming or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment