Tuesday, August 6, 2019

How I'm Never Gonna Fight That

At first, I thought this post would be just an embed of a skate video I watched yesterday, so I have to lead with that right?




Unbelievable stuff. While the direction is slick and amazing, don't let it distract you from how crazy the skating is. The super quick vertical pole jam into 50-50? The fast nose manual/nollie out in the tiny hole. Additionally, it's amazing to see a completely different style of skating from the Asian members of Addidas' team. Everything is precise and their ollies are go vertical and then horizontal in a way I could watch all day. Can't way to see more.

Rebecca and I have been on a trip to Ontario since last Tuesday. We originally planned this trip when we moved and thought that seeing our friends and family would be a needed break from our solitary existence in Montreal. It ended up sneaking up on me and it kind of felt like we were jetting off right as I was starting to get settled in our new home. Part of my head felt like we had more things to do and that staying in Montreal would make us more comfortable in the city. I think that was mostly me being anxious about the trip though and I now recognize that coming home was a good idea. It's not like we had anything concrete to be done. Going on a week-ish long trip where we relax, have fun, don't worry about doing anything and see our friends was good. Crazy, right?

The trip has felt strange, though not in a bad way. It's taken me back to places I used to live and seeing them again has brought a bunch of different feelings in me. Rebecca and I being back in downtown Guelph, which is where we spent the first two years of our relationship and where we fell in love, made us remember why "Guelph" continues to stick in our minds and why living there will always be something we dream on. Coming back to Kitchener-Waterloo always reminds me exactly why I left; growing dissatisfied with the city, having to drive to get to anything worthwhile, and greater professional and academic opportunities existing elsewhere; but also exactly why leaving was so hard; a beautiful group of friends who live together and welcomed me into their scene and city. Sitting with people who I am so close with and just talking for hours in the house I used to live in and being surrounded by like-minded punks is something that I crave at all times. I don't realize how important it is to me and what I'm missing so much until I'm doing it.

In the middle of this trip, it feels like I'm attaining some level of clarity, so I offer the following demandments for myself, shouted into the void to keep me motivated:

1. Put a little more elbow grease into making things, whether they be short stories, blog posts, songs, or zines.

2. Challenge your body and remember that you need that.

3. Get a job Bobo.

4. Eat things that you like.

5. Think a big scheme, no matter what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment