Monday, February 14, 2011

When I Need Somebody Too, How you Make Me Laugh So Hard

Today is St. Valentine's Day. I'm sure all of you know this because A) everyone is berated with holiday related things every Valentine's Day and B) this entry is dated. But I said that to give the blog a frame of reference.

Anyways! Usually I dread Valentine's Day. This stems from the fact that I usually don't have too much luck with the ladies and end spending them alone. So far I've had a date or significant other for a grand total of 1 Valentine's Day. It just sucks because you constantly reminded by those in relationships about how happy and in love they are, which in turn makes you feel lonely.

So this year I was totally ready to put another notch in my belt and enjoy St. Lonely's Day. I made a playlist of songs about being lovelorn. I made a facebook status about hating Valentine's day. I was talking to other friends about what they were doing and we all generally had the same plan: Listen to The Ergs! (or All, House Boat, etc.) and probably drink (or in my case study!). One guy chimed in saying "Man, I can't believe you guys are letting one day get you down that much." And you know what? He's totally fucking right.

On one hand you can defend yourself. Red and pink hearts and corny love messages are more or less on every fucking thing on earth this time of year, but how are you going to let it bum you out that much? It's not like you don't know that you are alone every day of the year (that was meant to sound as depressing as it did).

Another big part was a friend posted the song "The Reasons" by The Weakerthans this morning on Facebook (it is obviously relevant). I wasn't aware of it until this morning, but I absolutely adore that song. I had planned to listen sad break-up songs and songs about being alone and hating the fact. But that songs is about being in love and (at the risk of sounding like an completely terrible romantic comedy starring probably Matthew McConnaughey and Jennifer Lopez or something) reminded me how that feels. Not to say that I'm some depressed 21 year old who feels like his heart's been ripped out of his chest because his college girlfriend of 3 months broke up with him, but I guess I haven't felt that way for a little while.

And that feels fucking good. I don't care how much of a wuss/pussy/fag (or anything else, I was called in highschool) (Also, how does a homosexual slur apply to someone who is expressing his appreciation for a girl? Doesn't make much sense.) that makes me. I really like being in love, it rules.

So long story short, rather than being apathetic and focusing on how I've been single with not much going on romantically for about 10 months, I'm going to try and think about how happy I've been before and try and keep that awesome happy feeling going.

I am really good at making depressing "I hate girls" playlists though. It's kind of my thing.


I mean it is only just another day right?

Blahblahblah corporations blahblahblah

No comments:

Post a Comment