Sunday, October 31, 2021

Anecdotes! Anecdotes! Part 2007

The latest in the torrential downpour of bad news over the last two years? Club Super Sexe burned down!


I kid. 1. It's been more than 10 years since I've been to a titty bar and I've never gone to Super Sexe and 2. The club has been closed for ages (I don't care enough to look up how long).

Still, Club Super Sexe is a hilarious integral part of Montreal history and the city's weird-ass identity. I remember driving by the club on a coach bus while coming into the city for New Year's Eve in grade 12 and just thinking "What the fuck is this place?" When I heard the news about the club, I was reminded of the story that Super Sexe always reminds me of, so I guess that warrants an A! A! post.

That same New Year's Eve trip I just mentioned was organized by the high school that all of my friends went to. It almost felt like a class trip, except that we were all out on our own and, being 17, were looking to drink constantly.* Having this amount of freedom was so new and exciting to us. After seeing the façade of the club on the way in, the idea of actually going there became a topic of conversation for the rest of the weekend, even though none of the people I was hanging out with had fake IDs to get in.

*This trip was the first time that I got too drunk.

However, a room of jocks from the school that we were hanging out with did have fakes and decided to go there the first night of the trip. At the time I felt so insecure because it seemed crazy to me that they were going to a strip club at our age, but in hindsight they were definitely such an awkward group of tiny boys in there.

The next day we were all hungover and everyone did a circuit through the hotel to visit everyone's rooms and talk about what they had done the night before. Chris and I went to go see Damien, who was staying with these bros and while we were there they filled us in about what it was like going to Super Sexe. One of the guys, Tom, had this very low, monotone voice that made most things he said sound funny.* His recap of the night was"

"Man, I was sitting there and the girl's pussy was right in my face. It was awesome."

His voicing of that will stick in my head forever and it still makes me laugh

*I got to know Tom a little better later because we both worked at Ontario Place, albeit in different departments. A fantastic dude.

Watched Dune last weekend and it rocked. I don't really have the eternal bond to the book that most fans do, but it is a great piece of sci-fi and does have the "it" factor that makes books stick with you. My dad has mentioned that when he was younger and both sci-fi and fantasy were still decades away from being mainstream cool, that Dune and Lord of the Rings were the two books that were these word-of-mouth interesting things you would hear about and have to read. For whatever reason, I really like that and it informs my enjoyment of both books a lot. Anyways, the movie rocked.

The other day, I was linked to the short Nicole through the Humourism newsletter. It's super funny and hits this exact sweet spot of great comedians making shorts as they emerge. Hard to describe why I like that so much, but I do. Please enjoy this very funny short film.


Nicole from edy modica on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment