Sunday, May 17, 2020

No One Keeps Track Anymore

A little blog before I move onto writing something a little longer.

Yesterday while vacuuming my apartment I listened to Braid's post-reunion album No Coast.



I find that I come back to No Coast regularly and listening to it this time had me thinking that Braid made one of the best reunion albums. It's hard for me to not think that bands are just doing it for the money when they get back together. That's fine, use your reputation to get money while you can, but I never feel invested in what comes of it because the shows and songs never have the same ethereal "this is happening now" feeling. 

For whatever reason, No Coast more genuine. The songs still feel like Braid, even if they aren't as immediate as Frame and Canvas. It seems like a linear transition from their earlier material and the youthful outlook on heading out into the world is replaced by a wiser retrospective look on life. It also feels like Chris Broach carries a bigger load on this record, and his songs really carry it.

Of all the emo bands from the 90s who have gotten back together, like American Football and the Get Up Kids, I think Braid did the best job of continuing being the band they used to be, in a way that is still genuine, but also not overly nostalgic.

Two things:

1. We must put respect on the lead guitar on "East End Hollows". If that had come out in the 90s, it would be revered as all-time lick.

2. Any time I discuss Braid, I legally obligated to mention Bob Nanna singing the back-ups to "At Your Funeral" from when I saw Saves the Day and Braid play together in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment