Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Get Your Patchouli Stink Outta My Store! Move It Lard Ass!

Given that High Fidelity has recently been re-interpreted as a female POC-centred TV series, I figured that it would be a good time to revive an IMU staple: A post of top-5 lists with a HF quote as the title.

Top 5 Types of Pakora I Had at Atma This Weekend
1. Paneer
2. Potato
3. Mushroom
4. Cauliflower
5. Paneer again

Top 5 New Jays I'm Led to Believe Are Good, but Will Be a Letdown
1. Travis Shaw
2. Tanner Roark
3. Chase Anderson
4. Shun Yamaguchi
5. Joe Panik

Top 5 Lines of The Circle
1. Ed's mom: "Confused???"
2. Chris yelling "Oh my god!" with dead eyes
3. Shubie saying "protective"
4. Anyone saying "honest" or "real"
5. Rebecca's speech about how hard it is to be a man

Top 5 Bob Dylan Songs that Are Better as a Live Bootleg
1. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here with You
2. Blowin' in the Wind
3. Hurricane
4. It Ain't Me Babe
5. Romance in Durango

Top 5 Ingredients in Macaroni Salad
1. Mayonaise
2. Vinegar
3. Macaroni
4. Red pepper
5. Celery

Top 5 Non-Buffy Buffyverse Ass-Kickers
1. Angel
2. Faith
3. Gunn
4. Principal Wood
5. Riley

I've found this year to be pretty light on music so far, so the first thing released this year that I've really enjoyed is It's Easy to Feel Like a Nobody When You're Living in the City by Juiceboxxx. I was completely unfamiliar with his lengthy underground rap career, but found "Coinstar Song" through my precious and beloved Spotify algorithm and became obsessed. Lately he's turned to lofi-DIY power pop that always sounds like someone who's been involved in various types of underground music scenes for their whole life. Great stuff.



Also, an old friend of mine from Toronto punk, Nick Gergs, who played in the extremely excellent and supremely underrated band Brauer, has a new band Shopvac who put out an EP this year. Also great!

No comments:

Post a Comment