Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Losing Is Too

I listened to Orville Peck for the first time today. Pretty good! To be honest, when it comes to pastiches of old timey country, it's hard to top Daniel Romano's early records, but this is still good. One of my colleagues described him as a little Lynchian, and I guess that I agree with that. The combination of old americana with a new contemporary element is enough to get that across.

Thinking about "Lynchian" things then led me to re-visit some of the music from Lynch's Twin Peaks, since what could be more Lynchian that that? The music from the show is such an integral part of the aesthetic of the show. The combination of elements that have been cemented into the American identity, like old country music, along with extremely different contemporary elements, like all the synths, communicates exactly what the show is going for and is probably more integral to the coolness of Twin Peaks than anything else.

Also, I know that all of the shoegaze, synthpop, and dream pop from the last five years or so isn't only because of Twin Peaks, but the show has to be one of the biggest contributing factors, right?

Twin Peaks holds a special place in my heart because it was the first show that Rebecca and I watched together. Early in our relationship, there were a lot of nights that were the two of us lying down stoned and enjoying Twin Peaks. It was a special thing to share and it feels like the show is one brick in the foundation of our relationship. I can think of my life with Rebecca without thinking of Twin Peaks, but I can't do the inverse.

Listening to Orville Peck made me think of my favourite song from Twin Peaks, James performing "Just You" with Donna and Maddy.


While Rebecca and I were watching Twin Peaks: The Return in 2017, I mentioned that this was my favourite song and spoke about the memory of watching the show. I remember being extremely stoned, but also so comfortable and relaxed lying down beside them. The scene with this song resonated strongly with me and I think of it as an important episode in Rebecca and I falling in love.

Rebecca joked and asked "Is that when you caught feelings?"

Sure was.

No comments:

Post a Comment