Monday, October 3, 2011

Catch You Later

Here is the problem: I want to write a blog, man. I want to write one because I haven't written one in a while. I don't really have a subject or idea for one though. So this is probably going to be long-winded and probably about everything I can think of off the top of my head.

I said the same thing about three weeks ago at the start of this semester and my friend Tanner replied with "Write one about couch-hopping." since I was crashing on his couch for a week at the time. At first I thought this was an awesome idea. "I'm gonna get all On The Road up in this motherfucker! I'm a fucking drifter man! I don't have a fucking house! I fucking sleep on a couch and live out of a fucking hockey bag!" Then I realized that I wasn't crossing the United States on a crazy road trip, drifting around and meeting wild people. I was sleeping on my friend's couch and going to Art History classes. That sounds boring.

But at same time, maybe I'm just oversimplifying? Because that week was pretty fun. So I guess I could write out some long-winded story about getting high and going to get milkshakes? You know what? I think I will, but not at the moment. That's on my to-do list. Along with many other things.

So what else? I guess I talk about music on here all the time right? Actually shitty short sidebar: Recently I was having a few drinks with some friends and the topic of old bands came up. Obviously, I jumped at the opportunity to mention my magnum opus, the Comedie Humaine of local ska band histories, Timmy Chandler's personal Chinese Democracy: my history of the Pragmatics, which somehow took me like three months to finish writing (or I should say took me three months to overcome my intense laziness and spend the two hours it took to finish). I've never really mentioned the band to them and said they should check out that entry. She replied with "I hate reading your blog" (much less malicious than the way it looks here), mainly because it's usually me writing about bands and things that she (and most people, I'd assume) don't care about. And I'm down with that. I mean why the fuck would I read things that I don't care about?

Buuuuuut, the main reason I started this blog was to write things that I have on mind down. Doing so makes me feel accomplished because I've written something and no matter what it is and how stupid/not needed it is, that is more productive than hanging around in my room doing nothing on the internet all day (though this considered that as well no?). So I'm going to be honest, I'm really not a complicated dude. If I throw a song up here it's because I've been to that song/band a bunch and feel like writing something about it. It's what is on my mind, so I put it on here. It's not me saying "I know more about music than you" or anything like, because I probably don't. I'd leave that to my much musically inclined friends, who are way more on-top of what is coming out when/on what/touring with who.

But I like jams and I like to write about them. Y'know?

So yea, music then.

Since I was playing The Stereo so much this summer I decided that I should get another album of theirs. My friend John Flynn pointed me in the direction of Three Hundred and as soon as the first song started I knew I was going to adore the album. While listening to it it's pretty fucking obvious that every big "emo" band from like 5-6 years ago was trying to be this band. Not to say that The Stereo sounds like those bands, but Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco made a pretty decent living out of trying to sound like Rory and Jamie.

If you show this song to a girl and she doesn't immediately swoon, it's pretty obvious that she is a love-mongering succubus:


What else? Man, I don't fucking know. I really don't have anything left to say. Though I didn't really have anything coming into this either.

No comments:

Post a Comment