Thursday, December 9, 2010

We've Got It Made

I am writing this blog off a note I left myself in my pocket that reads "TWY, coffee, vans, lib. BO". I'm a fucking scatterbrain with a wild imagination whose mind wanders all day long. So, whenever I have what I think is a good idea I try to leave myself a reminder of what exactly it was so I don't forget. What if it was a great and interesting idea right? Well I guess we'll see how The Wonder Years, a cup of coffee, my pair of green sk8 mids and the second floor of the library smelling terrible have in common.

Oddly enough, it's the University of Guelph's exam period. How will they tie in together? Join me on this wild ride and find out.

So yea, everybody is fucking freaking out because it's time to write finals. Every status is "Not enough hours in the day", "I'm fucked", "I hate school", etc. This kind of pisses me off. I mean, I understand that you want to do well in school and worry about your marks, but everyone is on finals right now. Nobody likes a whiner.

I guess I kind of posted one of these yesterday. Verbatim, mine was "

i wish i could throw all the different parts of art and archeology of greece into a magic bullet and drink it as a smoothie instead of reading it. that would be rad", though I think this was more me commenting on how early Greek art is a little dry and trying to be funny by referencing an infomercial that everyone's seen a hundred times at the same time.


But everyone seems to be rushing around campus, of course they don't have the time to get dressed, so they're in sweat pants and uggs (I think I'm going to mention this again later) and seems to have a "woe is me" attitude because they have 5 (or less) tests over two weeks.

So I was heading back to the library last night to continue my studying of Greek art and architecture. I had The Wonder Years' cover of Lit's "Zip-Lock" blaring and a large coffee and a grin a mile wide across my face because honestly, I felt on top of the world. I've never really stressed very hard over exams. It's actually pretty relaxing to me because there's no class to drag yourself to. Granted, I also only have two finals this semester, but it was the same when I had five. I guess you should take pleasure in the little things. I mean yea, cramming for the next 5 hours sucks. Knowing you're only getting 4 hours of sleep that night sucks too. But jamming to one of my favourite bands and enjoying a warm beverage in the cold weather sure doesn't suck. What's the point of life if you just think about how much things suck all the time?

Upon entering the second floor of the Guelph library, I was immediately hit with a wave of pretty intense body odour. This ties into people just wearing sweat pants and dressing like bums too. I know you want to maximize your study, but you can't take a ten minute shower to wash your hair and rub body wash on your balls? To me, it feels like you're just trying to make everyone feel sorry for you, "oh I have to study so much, fuck my life". It's the same for the clothes. Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse dressing like a bum. Do it all the time. But these girls spend inordinate amounts of time on their appearance for the rest of the semester and then as soon as exams hit they don't have enough time to do that because they need to go surf facebook for 5 hours in the library.

Seems pretty weird to me.

Damn I can be negative sometimes.

Anyways, I put my feet up in the library and immediately thought "Goddamn I love these shoes", in reference to the aforementioned green mids. They are my skating shoes, so I guess they recall that activity, but I just also love slipping on a pair of old beat up vans that have been broken in. Combined with The Upsides following the Lit cover in my Wonder Years discography and that coffee hittin' the spot, it made for a pretty good feeling.

Didn't mean to get so pissed off about people I don't know at the end, but you get what I'm saying right?

Everybody just calm down a little bit. Things are never as bad as you think they are.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really remember how I found your blog, I think it was something you'd written about The Wonder Years to be honest. Regardless, I finished my finals a week ago, I had six in five days and spent most of my time at the library, but never really felt too bad about it. It was kind of nice to be there at 8:30 in the morning, with a large cup of coffee, and ready to take everything on. It's nice to see someone else felt that way. Also, TWY are amazing. I hope you caught one of their holiday shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I wish. Live a little far away though and getting to the shows was out of my price range. I imagine they were awesome.

    Thanks for the comment! Glad you agree!

    ReplyDelete