Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'd Have The Strength To Face You Day

A ton of people I know always rag on Toronto being a shitty city that is nothing compared to the world's other metropolises. This was something that I was thinking about today

I journeyed downtown to buy some Christmas presents. My adventure today started on the corner of Yonge and Queen and consisted of a walk up to the ROM, through Queen's Park, across Bloor to Yonge and then back down Yonge to Queen. During this walk I realized that, apart from a black hole from a little north of College down to Queen on Yonge, this city fucking rules.

Walking up through Queen's Park you get to see the park itself, which is pretty awesome. It's also right in the middle of the St. George campus of the University if Toronto, which is made up of pretty old (or at least old-looking on the outside) buildings that both show the age and reputation of the university and the city.

The journey across Bloor is one if the most ritzy parts of the city, as most of the city's upscale shopping is there. Obviously it's not stuff that really interests me, but it is a part of the city that looks really sophisticated and nice.

Yonge street (minus the few abhor-able blocks that surround Yonge and Dundas Square) seems to me like throwback Toronto to me (like from the 60's and 70's) there's a ton of independent book stores, food places, comic shops, etc. Granted, there are a ton of McDonald's and other major chains, but they don't dominate the area.

And I think all of these things are pretty cool.

Everyone seems to hate their hometown. Sometimes Scarborough does suck. Warden and Kennedy station are never much fun. The Eaton Centre and surrounding area is a pain in the ass. But I really do think that the city I came from is pretty rad.

And yo, blogger. Let me put exclamation marks in post labels. It can really change the meaning dawg.

No comments:

Post a Comment