Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I wonder what I'll think of this in 5 years

This goes back a bit. In grade 11 my parents were really worried about where I would go after high-school and what I was going to do with my life. While deciding on a university to attend in grade 12, there was stigma around those who chose to pursue a general arts program, like myself. Since I went to a private school many people either went into health sciences or business programs, which would lead to high-paying jobs when completed. When I chose to drop economics in grade 12 my guidance counsellor asked me “you realize that you won’t be able to take business programs in university, right?”

I guess what I’m trying to get at is why is everyone so concerned with setting up a life that might provide them with enough income but will most likely make them feel like shit?

Right now I’m in a 4 year Bachelor of Arts program with a major in art history. Unless I pursue this further in a master’s or doctorate program, people won’t exactly be jumping over each other to give me jobs. But honestly, I took a lot of different courses while I was still undeclared in my major. I had never liked a subject in school until I took a first year art history survey course. So when I finally found a subject that I liked, I decided to pursue it. Shouldn’t that be the point of education?

It took somebody else to make me realize this. One day I was talking to my friend TJ, who I honestly barely know. I mentioned that I was going to major in history, but I was really enjoying the art history course I was taking and was thinking about minoring in it. He replied “Well, why don’t you major in it?” I realized, why the fuck not? I liked it, that’s reason enough.

This might just be me trying to be too punk for my own good, but I would take being poor and doing something that I’m passionate about over some stupid office job that would probably make me depressed. Both my parents are prime cases for this. My mom knew she wanted to be a history in grade 4. My dad graduated with a degree in English but now has a landscape architecture company.

Granted I know I’m not taking into account supporting a spouse and family, but I can’t look that far down the road yet. Plus how am I going to get married when I suck with women the most of anyone I know? Sorry.

But back to the point. People need to stop focusing on what they don’t have and focus on what they do have. Sorry to break it to you, but chances are you aren’t going to get everything you want in life. Especially with the type of TV shows on now, people dream big. Most likely you aren’t like them and are a better person. I mean yea, I would love to have a big house and a million comic books, and a $5000 bass guitar. But who cares?

I know there’s the big idea that “oh yea, I’m a man. I need to make a fat paycheck and keep the wife at home.” Honestly, it isn’t the 50’s anymore. You’ll probably get fired from a factory job and hate your boss in an office. Do what you like and say what you feel because those who care don’t matter and those who matter don’t care.

"I don't give a damn about no greenback dollar, spend it as fast as I can. For a wailing song and a good guitar, are the only things that I understand"


No comments:

Post a Comment