Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Absolutely Clear, but Don't You Worry

 I wish I could see the dates that I edited this post, but if I had to guess, it has to have been like two weeks ago that I started. The opening paragraph is pretty funny in hindsight, considering it took me so long to finish a nothing post that was even started before the last one. Anyways, it was already most written, so I can't just lean on the backspace now, can I?

I can feel the void inside getting a little bit bigger lately, but it's hard to pinpoint why. Caving under the pressure of thesis work? Dread about not making as much out of my summer as I could? COVID? Missing friends? I feel fairly certain that it is absolutely not from having neglected personal writing, though I have thought a couple of times about how it's funny that I'm just not driven to do that lately. Unfortunately, writing out dumb stream of consciousness blogs is one of the only coping strategies I have for dealing with stress anxiety, so here we go.

Another problem: I have no idea what to write about. Ideas have come and gone quickly lately, so what you'll get here is ideas jotted down as they come to me over multiple days.

Anna Fox Rochinski recently put out an album on Don Giovani Records called Cherry. It's sort of dreampop, sort of shoegaze, in the early 90s Cocteau Twins sense, but still dancey. I've never heard of this artist before and I like her a lot so far.


I just returned to this point for the first time in like three days and instead decided to make this only about music I'm into at the moment. Look at this transparency about the blog! Crazy! So interesting for the fans! Or just lazy!

Angel Du$t



I never really got into Trapped Under Ice during their first run as a band, though I really enjoyed seeing them the few times that I did. I think even the most hardcore of TUI fans wouldn't have predicted the prosperous family tree that resulted from the band though. Initially I was very much Team Turnstile and didn't really get into Angel Du$t that much, but they somehow went in even weirder and more interesting directions musically than their brother band. Really cool EP.

New You


It's simple power pop played by a punk guy that focuses on crunchy guitar leads. That's exactly what I like! It kind of reminds me of TRÜ, another new band I really like. 

Militarie Gun


I think that Regional Justice Center is extremely cool, but power violence is also something with a bit of a ceiling with me. And I also like to watch it live much more than I like to listen to it on record. Fortunately Regional Justice Center also turned into a band that is both hardcore and indie/college rock. I like this EP each time I re-visit it and I think it will probably end up being one of my favourite things this year.

Just Friends


Just Friends were a pandemic find for me and are great as a serotonin boost as the pandemic wears on you. Just always intravenous fun vibes. In lieu of releasing a follow-up album to Nothing But Love, they've focused on putting out short EPs that feature new singles, new versions and remixes of old songs, and, in general, a lot of playing with their sound. Honestly, if they just did this for the rest of their existence as a band, I'd by psyched.

Postscript:

I think I might be starting an Eddy Grant binge? I had always meant to dig more into his music and was inspired to today. I have this dumb vivid memory I tie to him (from well before "Electric Avenue" became a bit of a meme from Pineapple Express*), where he was being discussed on a VH1 "Remember the 80s" thing being aired on muchmoremusic and most people were teasing how retro the video sounded and looked. In the middle there was a cut to Adam Levine from Maroon 5 saying very seriously and earnestly "It's a great fucking song." That made Eddy Grant seem cool? It's great stuff.


*For the record both "Electric Avenue" and Pineapple Express are good, it was just annoying that everyone knew it as the Pineapple Express song and associated with stoners for like 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment