Monday, May 3, 2021

In the Morning We'll be Fine

There's been a slew of great music releases of the last couple of weeks, which to me signals that the most blessed time of the year has started: The point in spring and summer when the Actual Good Records start coming out.

There's a been a few things that I've enjoyed so far this year, but to me the sign that 2021 in Music had started in earnest was the release of Origami Angel's Gami Gang last Friday. I'm not sure exactly what it is about the release, but it stands out more than the other good stuff I've heard this year, like Another Michael and Glitterer. It could be the warm weather creeping in around its release and letting me know that all the good stuff is about to come. It could be people I know getting excited about it. It could be a lot of things. I feel like one of these releases that reinvigorates my desire to jump into new music has to come every year and this is it.

That being said, it is good, but not perfect by any means. In terms of 4th (are we on 5th?) wave emo revival, it hits all my spots, but is too polished by half. I need it to feel a little more like everything is about to fall apart and it's a miracle that the band is staying together in the song. I also need a lot more off-key screaming. I'm also not one for video game references and there are a lot here. 

It also weird in that it's sometimes almost too honed in on my interests. The promo pictures feature the members in a Bane hoodie and a throwback college basketball jersey, which is about as close to a perfect summation of my aesthetic in two articles of clothing as you can get. On top of that, it's a shreddy emo album with a lot of breakdowns and basketball references. How did I get so directly in this band's crosshairs? Is that my fault or theirs?

Anyway, Gami Gang is good and Counter Intuitive Records kicks ass. Sure is weird that I always feel the need to describe things I don't like about things I like, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment