Saturday, November 14, 2020

Tour Water

An embarrassing thing about me is that I went to more editions of the Vans Warped Tour than pretty much everyone I know. I wish I could say that I stopped going once I left high school, but it turned into a weird thing that I kept doing long after that. Here is a list of each time I went, described through the short memories that I have tied to each time.

I
Putting a lot of thought into what shirt to wear and choosing Black Flag. The Casualties being scary. Deville being the best band in the world. Caring so much about seeing Bad Religion.

II
Investing all of my happiness in seeing Big D and the Kids Table play "Little Bitch" and asking them to do so before the set. The only time I saw The Offspring and Dropkick Murphys.

III
Being absolutely over the moon to finally see NOFX. Sheepishly going to buy an Aiden shirt as a fully dekked-out teen ska boy for a girl I liked. Less Than Jake ending the day and being the best band by a mile.

IV
The crew shrinking to just Chris, Pat and I. Gallows hype being at its height. Spending the entire day at the Union Stage watching Ontario ska bands. Being so confused that everyone loved All Time Low.

V
Switching to Arrow Hall in Mississauga instead of driving up to Barrie. Easycore ascending and Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong and A Day to Remember all playing being a "thing". 

VI
Crabcore being so big and obnoxious and bad. Pennywise playing in the rain. Streetlight Manifesto ending their set by saying "Steal our record because fuck our record label". Having nothing to do and trying to give watching A Day to Remember a shot. Them sucking, and leaving to watch Shad by myself.

VII
Starting to get really over going to Warped Tour and being annoyed at the crowd. A guy in line saying "Wouldn't it be crazy if the Chili Peppers came out and played 'Can't Stop'?" Sum 41 putting a really embarrassing easycore breakdown in "Fat Lip". The aftershow by Polar Bear Club at the Bovine being so much better.

VIII
Buying a ticket and thinking "I don't care how much it sucks, I know it will be bad, I'm only coming to see Less Than Jake and it won't be sod bad if I know that going in" and then it being so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment