Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Bagpipe Lane

New Year’s came while it was cold this year. There had been warm ones in the past. This year it was freezing.

Two days later I walked back from a diner. It was 10 below zero. In a month, I would be used to this and wouldn’t notice, but now it chilled me to my core. My shoulders were tense. There wasn’t any snow. Everything was grey. There was only a couple of people outside walking along Bloor. Everyone looked at the ground and you couldn’t see their faces.

It’s weird that the year ends and begins in the dead of winter in the middle of the night. The beginning and ending are the same, like a snake eating its tail. Funny how everything looks so ugly, covered in salt and early darkness. Maybe everyone makes New Year’s resolutions because everything around them looks like shit. Why make a resolution when everything around you is dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment