Friday, January 25, 2019

Gasoline Dreams

I recently started using a site called 750Words, which is a platform designed to help you in free writing, with the goal of writing 750 words each day, no matter what the content is. I hope that it is helpful in guiding me towards more output.

A positive for IMU? It forces me to reflect on myself a bunch, so I think it would be valuable to grab certain parts of what I write there to make cut-and-pastey posts her. Looks like we'll be returning to slightly more confessional, 2009-vibe, posts her for a little. I hope that both of my readers enjoy this.

Anyways, here you go.

It will be interesting to go back to work without the spectre of school applications hanging over my head. It's been in the back of my mind since the last ones were rejected and I think I always knew that this was something I was going to have to complete while I was GAing. Now they're done. So what do I keep myself busy with at the gallery?

I definitely need to read. I haven't checked my Goodreads in a little while, but I assume that my rush through Saga has still left me a little behind schedule. I'll have to buckle down and get through some books and never look at my phone. I also want to make sure that I read things I enjoy this year. Last year was great for clearing through my reading shelf, but it's important to consider books that I know I'll get a lot out of. Nobody is going to kill you for reading more Robertson Davies. New personal goal for the season: Try to leave work with at least 70% left on your phone every day.

Another thing to pursue: writing, of course. I'm going to need to brainstorm new ideas for stories to work on, but that's also a great thing to work through during downtime in the gallery. I have, I think, two potential things, but other than that, just nothing. It kind of feels like I've worked through all of my overstock of ideas and now need to do a big shopping trip to restock my intellectual pantry.

I'm going to force myself to publish a short story today, even though I feel super vulnerable putting it out there. The story is informed by my own experience and I'm worried that people will read too much of myself into it. But I need to remember that nobody will have the same reading of it that I will and they'll maybe event think it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment