Monday, January 23, 2017

I Refuse to Run and Will Die Before I Kneel in This Life

Donald Trump's inauguration as President of the United States this past Friday has proved to be one of the more significant political moments that I have been alive for.

More significant are the protest marches by women that took place all over the world the next day in response. There was a huge version of the march in Toronto which started at Queen's Park and moved towards City Hall. I thought about attending the march to show solidarity, but ultimately decided not to, though I did turn the issue over a few times in my head. The following are a few of the points that I went over.

The march is not for me. Even though I support the sentiment behind it 100%, I am a man and as a result am partly what they are marching against. Though I consider myself an ally of the cause, I think it also important to acknowledge when it is your time to step back and allow others to speak. I think that this was one of those times.

The inverse of that also seemed logical though, as if there was ever a time to stand and show support, it has to be now. It was hard to reconcile these two points of view, but ultimately I decided on the former.

The march was also very white. The Toronto one was nowhere near as whitewashed as others (the problems explained excellently here), but it did still weird me out a little. Me being a white male, I didn't think the march needed my presence there for extra support!

Though there may be problems in the composition of the crowd, I think that a left momentarily putting aside its differences would do a lot more harm than good in the face a fucking white nationalist running a superpower. Let's not stop here. Don't forget how mad you are and don't let that stop inspiring you. Don't stop punching fucking nazis.

FIGHT FASCISM.

No comments:

Post a Comment