Thursday, March 3, 2016

I Got De Right Tempicha

For a long time my main goal in life was to be in a band and write and put out a full-length album. As a kid, this seemed like a huge deal, that putting out a record would be a landmark event in my life. When Beat Noir put out Ecotone in January 2014, I guess I accomplished that.

Timmy's list of lifetime goals (started in grade 8):

1. Put out a record.
2. Kiss a girl.
3. Penis in their mouth? I think it feels good?

It feels weird looking back on this now. I remember being at an art history group dinner when we put the album up and suddenly feeling so excited. I had to keep it to myself and contain my elation, as I couldn't jump up and say "my band put out its first album!" It was a singular feeling. I'm still very proud of that record, but the excitement of it existing passed a while ago. It feels weird to have such a major goal out of the way now.

That's not to say that I'm not trying in Beat Noir now. Just the opposite. Our second record is done and, I think, is better in every way. As long as the band exists, we won't stop trying to make better music.

But Ecotone doesn't quite feel like I completely accomplished the goal because I didn't write the songs. I still contributed to Ecotone; wrote all the basslines, added song ideas here and there, miscellaneous shit, I was completely a big part of that record. I guess my ideal scenario of putting out a record would have consisted of a collection of my own songs. I've been trying to write songs since high school, but to be honest none of them have ever really come together in a good way. Maybe I just need a band for them? I'm not so sure.

I guess this means that this goal, my dream that I've held onto since I wrote a really bad ska-punk song about the rich kids at St. Mike's, in F# major, is still alive. I will keep telling myself that one day I will sit down, finish some songs and put them out in some way.

In reality though, it is accomplished. Ecotone has been released. 300 copies were pressed. It has liner notes. I will amend my list of goals to look like this:

1.A. Put out a record.
1.B. Put out a record of my own songs.
2. Kiss a girl.
3. Penis in their mouth? I think it feels good?

Because of the strike that I was able to run through option number 1 in January 2014, I've thought about other things that I want to work towards in my life. I think it's important to have one shining goal in your life. Good for your mind. Good to keep you occupied when you don't know what to do in down time.

I think my new goal is to write a novel. I've done a lot of writing and a fair amount of long form writing. I've loved reading my entire life. I really appreciate the style and effort to goes into a good novel. It also happens that I am much better at writing prose than I am at writing songs. I guess I'll keep hammering away at The Waterpark and Hands in Space.

Also, IMU is now officially an "online zine". I've decided that this is a much more palatable than the term "blog".

Also, I got a haircut at Town Barber today and I can't recommend them enough. A wonderful barbershop.

No comments:

Post a Comment