Monday, March 23, 2015

I'LL BE YOUR DAD

I feel like this blog is going to come off as jaded and negative, but rest assured that I don't intend that at all.

Sometimes being in a band can be hard. When you are recording new songs or playing good shows and things are going reasonably well, being in a band is great. But to get to a point where those things happen requires a lot of work. A lot of work which doesn't immediately pay off and can seem like a waste. Sometimes being in a band seems like a completely Sisyphean task. Shows start to dry up. Shows are played to the same people. Money is paid to keep the and going and never comes back. Though the feeling you get from playing a good show never really fades and the benefits of putting your creative energy into something are innumerable, it can sometimes be hard to focus on those things instead of the negatives.

I say this because last night I saw my friends Shopping Cart and while they were playing, they reminded of how much fun being in a band really is. All I could think of while watching them was the feelings fun and youth that initially inspired me to want to start a band. Most people would agree that the most fun part of being in a band is hanging with your friends and creating something you're proud of and having fun in the process. Sometimes it's easy to forget that, but Shopping Cart was good at reminding me of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment