Friday, May 4, 2012

Sorry About The Mess

I didn't realize until after I woke up and cruised through Twitter once, but today is May 4th. This is significant officially for 0 reasons (Bird Day?) (Greenery Day?) (Lance Bass' birthday?), but significant unofficially for two reasons as it's considered both Jawbreaker Appreciation Day and Star Wars Day (Again, unofficially.). The More I think about this, the more I think it's pretty fucking dumb.

The Jawbreaker thing is because they have a popular song called "Sluttering (May 4th)" off their album Dear You. I guess that's fine? It seems like pretty much every band who has a song that has a date for a title experiences the same thing. For example, May 16th is Lagwagon day, August 8th is NoFX day, August 19th is Ergs! day, etc. Though the Jawbreaker one is by far the most popular (The Lagwagon one is kind of popular as well.), I think that this is more an example of fans of a band trying to show they like them and get others to like them as well. While I'm sure the multiple postings of "Sluttering" by friends may get a little annoying today, it's pretty harmless, mostly because Jawbreaker rules and more people SHOULD listen to them. It seems kind of dumb to me that a band's day would be based off the title of one of their songs, rather than the day they formed or played their first show or released their landmark album, but OH WELL right?

The Star Wars thing really grinds my gears though. Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware I've mentioned it here before, but let me have this one. As far as I can tell, the entire "Unofficial Star Wars Day" comes completely from the fact that "May the 4th be with you." sounds almost exactly like "May the force be with you." I don't know if it's just me being a jaded asshole or not, but basing a "day" around those two sentences sounding the same is pretty fucking stupid. Why not May 25th, the day it was originally released? Anything other than fucking May 4th because that date is completely irrelevant and it drives me up the wall. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Star Wars. The original three movies are among my favourites ever and I watch them pretty regularly, but this day just seems like the dumbest thing to me. Especially since most of consists of people posting "may the 4th b wit u. LOL such a nerd!!!!!!!" or something to that effect on Facebook.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting? Probably.

Go Jays go.

No comments:

Post a Comment