Monday, April 9, 2012

How Can I Be So Self-Important In The World Today?

Graduating from university is a very scary thing.

I know most who read this are friends of mine, if you don't know me personally I'm currently ending my last semester of university. I also took an extra year to finish my degree, so while about half the people I know had to face up to what I'm now thinking about a year ago, I'm only dealing with it now. The 5th year I took for my Bachelor of Arts gave me a way to put of thinking about graduation and life after Guelph , but this semester has forced me to finally face up to it.

This is the first time I've had to seriously think about where my life is going. Some people find that graduating high-school can be a pretty big crossroads for them, but that wasn't really the case for me. Sure, I was confused for a little bit about where I was going to school and had really no idea about what my major was going to be, but I knew I would going to a university in the fall and that school was going to be occupying at the next four years of my life. It's not like I had a total life-plan, but I knew where I was going next.

Ever since enrolling at the University of Guelph, every summer has been more or less the same: Move back to Scarborough once the winter semester is done and then start working during mid-May to make money for the upcoming school year. At the end of the past four years I knew I already had a job lined up and knew that I was going back to finish my degree after that.

Since then Guelph and working at Ontario Place has been a safety net for me. Neither had any long-term benefits for me really as people don't really jump over each other to hire people have four years experience of learning about the Italian Renaissance and lifeguarding was a student job and nothing more. I enjoyed it and it gave adequate pay for my lifestyle at school. They were perfect for the time but didn't really do anything for the future.

So now I'm faced with something completely new to me: Figuring out just what to fucking do with myself. I just finished my first exam and am now 1/4 of the way through my final final exam period, which in turn means that I'm very close to completely finishing school. Also, though chances were slim I was heading back to the water-park for a fifth year, Ontario Place announced this winter that it would be closing pretty much the entire park until 2017 (The second sentence of that article hit the nail on the head. Ontario Place is a shithole, crooked and a black-hole for tax money (Which paid negligent assholes like me!). Get me drunk and I'll tell you all about it.), which meant that even though I wasn't planning on going back again, the safety net of having a job already lined up for me was gone.

Pretty much all I know about the next 4 1/2 months is that I'm going to be living in Guelph. I've gotten a few leads on jobs, but have nothing concrete lined up yet. But this end of semester isn't the worst deadline, because who knows what the fuck I'm doing come September.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's pretty scary, man.

But every shitcloud has a silver shitlining. I'm really excited to live in Guelph this summer, as I've never spent the season here. I'll have my own house for the whole summer, which is pretty awesome. I've also got a cottage trip with my best friends from home, visits from some American friends, Pouzza Fest and a trip to New York to see the Arrogant Sons of Bitches to look forward to.

Not to mention 159 more games of Blue Jays baseball!

So I guess even though this is a pretty terrifying time for me, I shouldn't complain because some people have it a hell of a lot worse, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment