Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Seventeen without a purpose or direction

Well, I stayed up to watch blink-182 on The Tonight Show the past two nights. Yes stayed up all the way 'till 11:30, give me a break I'm on my work sleeping schedule. Anyways, I've grown kind of skeptical about how good the reunion will be after seeing the set-list they've prepared so far and after Mark said "We used to walk onstage and forget out parts. We wanted to play fast and look cool. This time we want to be more artistic."

To me, that seems like it's going against most of the things I loved about the band; guitars straps so low they could barely play, speeding up every song live, simple songs you could learn in 5 minutes.

The first night on Leno they played the rock show. The good thing about this performance was that seeing the three of them perform together made me realize "wow, blink is back together." The performance was pretty solid, the sounded good and Travis had the brim of his hat flipped up. They seemed kind of uninspired, but it was a TV performance. At least Tom wasn't wearing a track jacket.

Seeing as they played a Mark song on the first night, I figured they'd play a Tom song on the next night. All The Small Things was what I figured they'd choose and  was right. Tom is what is worrying me most about this reunion. While Mark and Travis have been very gung-ho about it, often mentioning how happy they are that the band is back together, Tom has been pretty quiet about it. Angels and Airwaves was very different from blink, and also very shitty. Tom was also allegedly the main force behind the train-wreck of an album that self-titled was. Long story short, Tom worries me. 

Performing "All The Small Things" Tom sounded ridiculous. Someone mentioned that he was trying to sound like Robert Smith and I couldn't agree more. He was really trying way to hard to sing and it came off terribly. Tom has always been a shitty singer, but before he just didn't give a fuck and since he didn't no-one else did either. But he seriously butchered that song.

Here's to hoping for a little less "I Miss You" and little more "Lemmings" for the upcoming tour.

Also, Static Radio Nj, No Harm Done, Strike Anywhere, No Use For A Name, Only Crime, Strung Out, The Swellers, Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, NoFX, Less Than Jake, Bayside, Weezer and blink-182 all in the next 3 months. 

Fuck. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment