At some point in your adulthood, you realize that leaving certain parts of your youth behind is not only good for you, but necessary. Even better is leaving them behind without making a whole big fuckin' thing about it. Break up your band and don't play a last show. It adds to the mystique. Any attention for a transition is self-interest, right? Do we need to be that self-interested? My inner punk says no.
It is in that vein, that I was happy to abandon IMU. I think the only thing cornier than maintaining a blogspot into middle age would be making a farewell post about it. I would occasionally look at the last post I made and wonder why the hell I was writing and posting that. It feels crazy that the last post is only four years ago, because it feels like it was at least twice that.
Was a return to IMU inevitable? Jawbreaker, the Misfits, and Carry On say yes.* Though I guess what makes my case different is that rather than my absence building an appetite for what it could be life and creating discourse around the event, it just cleared out anyone who ever would have read this blog in the first place. I swear there is no hint of sarcasm when I say "God, that is so comforting."
*Operation Ivy stays undefeated.
I've been in a deep rut writing this summer and at a certain point releasing the "Return to IMU" switch felt like best way to combat that. The only way to actually improve your ability to write is to do it constantly, so rather than bang my head against the same Word doc for the 500th day in a row, I figured that typing bullshit, not worrying if it sounds smart or right, and nobody reading that would make the most sense after all.
A speed run for Timmy lore* since 2022: Pierre died. Jays lost the World Series in extra innings of Game 7 at home. CREW won the raid. Testified in labour court. Changed supervisors. Accomplished some school shit. Hardcore boom is over and sucks now. New Tone sucks now too.
*I genuinely hate the term "lore" and the way everyone uses it. Hate the obsession on lore as the load-bearing beam of all enjoyment of media. And yet, I use it here. Do you see how I debase myself for this blog?
I'll finish by saying that Public Opinion put out a new record today, The Curse of Public Opinion. I really liked their last record, Painted On Smile, but something feels off about the new one. Vocals feel a little to clean and auto-tuned? Maybe that will change with repeated listens. I used to think they sounded of a piece with Drug Church and Militarie Gun, but that doesn't feel as apt with this record.
After finishing D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers (generally good, sometimes felt long, often felt transcendent), I started Kevin Barry's Night Boat to Tangier. Slight Elmore Leonard vibes in the characters, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe I'm just giving it grace because I'm trying to cosplay as Irish through my fiction habits lately.
Was planning to see To Live and Die in LA last night after seeing some friends but ended up just staying with them and having a wonderful night of chopping it up on Aziz's patio while fireworks exploded in the distance. Some would say that friendship is sacred. I would rephrase that as "Man was put on this earth to chill."
No comments:
Post a Comment