For a reason unknown to me, I was compelled to listen to "Zip-Lock" by Lit this morning when I left to get groceries at the market. It's a nice and sunny day today and it felt good to listen to poppy bro-rock from the late 90s while I walked through the neighbourhood. It reminded me of my last summer at Ontario Place, when it was often sunny, and when I was trying to give Lit's A Place in the Sun an honest go to see if I was into it.
From 2010-2011, Brian and I's musical taste was dominated by the Wonder Years' The Upsides. We got so excited during the press rollout for the album and then fell head over heels in love with the record when it came out.* During the height of our Wonder Years obsession, the band put out a cover of "Zip-Lock" that we, naturally, checked out because we were inhaling everything the band did. I had no idea who Lit was, since I was just young enough for the one-hit wonder craze of "My Own Worst Enemy" to miss me when it came out. I excitedly wondered if Lit was a long-lost pop-punk gem from the 90s that I had missed out on, since that was the precious thing I could imagine at the time. Kind of unfortunate in hindsight.
*Can't say that any of their music does anything for me anymore and I haven't even gotten nostalgic enjoyment out of the music in the times I've tried to revisit it in the last ten years. Was a nice thing to bond over with my friends at the time though.
I will admit that "Zip-Lock" is a huge tune. I think the main riff is a solid melodic hook, even if the pinch harmonic does really stick out like a sore thumb. I love the stupid snare drum fill before the solo. I think the lyrics are bad in "sensitive bro who wants to express himself and accidentally spits" way that makes them okay.
Brian and I used to leave each other messages on Facebook Messenger* while we worked our summer jobs in our respective hometowns, mostly talking about music and our friends. Brian told me that he had been listening to Lit a bunch since the end of the school year and that he thought it hit a Third Eye Blind sort of spot in terms of it being something that we sort of remember from the late-90s, but was actually a lot better than it seemed. I downloaded the record and planned to listen to it on the train ride to work the next morning
*Really it was MSN Messenger, but by this point that was obsolete.
Those train rides were huge in my consumption of music back then, even if in hindsight it was just times that I listened to different types of pop-punk. House Boat and the Swellers seemed worlds apart back then in a way that doesn't really translate to me now. Still, the time that I spent listening to albums on my commutes to and from the water park was when significant parts of my taste concretized. I was alone and had nothing else to do, which meant that I focused on the minutiae of the music and committed drum fills and guitar licks to memory.
This all to say that I was ready to love the Lit record and was dismayed when I found it to be mostly bad. When you're intrigued by one song, like I was with "Zip-Lock," you hope that there will be deep cuts that are as good as the one you know, but that didn't happen here, aside from learning that "My Own Worst Enemy" was the actual hit. Instead, outside of two good pop-rock songs, there was so much weird shit. Even as a guy who admittedly adores octave chords, why was every guitar lead just moving octave chords? How in the world did "You make me cum, you make me complete, you make me completely miserable" make it through the process of writing, pre-production, recording, post-production and release?
No comments:
Post a Comment